A Tale of Two Houses
Information and photos courtesy
City of Windsor Heritage Planner
908 Dawson Road –
built by the same architect as 904 Lawrence in early 1920s
904 Lawrence Road and 908 Dawson Road are illustrative of the residential
development taking place in the former Ford City (now part of Windsor)
during its major growth period in the first two decades of the 20th
Century. The houses still stand as landmarks in their neighbourhood.
unique fieldstone and stucco home at 908 Dawson Road (southeast
corner of Dawson Road and Ontario Street) was built between 1922
and 1924 by local contractor and real estate developer Roy Brigham
who built many homes in the “Reaume Gardens” subdivision.
The subdivision, approved in 1914 and registered in 1915, was one
of many developed by Reaume Organization Ltd., Ford City. Joseph
L. Reaume, Barnaby and Denis Janisse, Dr. Percy Gardner, and Tracy
W. McGregor all subdivided portions of their properties (Farm Lots
110 and 111) to create the subdivision. “Reaume Gardens”
extends south from Wyandotte Street to the railway tracks, and east
from Pillette. New streets included Lawrence, Dawson, and Raymo.
G. Reaume, president of Reaume Organization, Ltd., also donated
a small section of his farm, adjacent to the river, with the stipulation
that it be named "Reaume Park.” His firm was touted in
the 1923-24 City Directory as the “Border Cities Greatest
Assessment Rolls at the Muncipital Archives list solicitor Bernard
Furlong and builder Roy Brigham as owners of 908 Dawson during its
construction. In 1925 the ownership of the completed house and property
was transferred to 54-year-old Asher Robinson, a foundry manager,
and his wife Ida of Detroit. While an Alfred Robinson (clerk at
Detroit Stove Works) is listed as a tenant at the new home on Dawson
in the 1927 City Directory, and Asher is listed in the 1928 block,
the clerk’s rolls do not confirm occupancy until 1930 when
two people (Asher and Ida Robinson) lived in the house.
The front entrance at 908 Dawson Road,
with the salvaged wrought iron fencing from Ottawa’s
Hunter Building in the foreground.
by 1931 the house was vacant again. In 1932 an insurance adjuster,
Harold W. Ormerod, and his wife and four children briefly took up
residence. In 1933, Mrs. Febrannie Beaudet, widow of Edmond, and
her four sons moved in. The Robinsons lost the house through foreclosure
to the Mutual Life Assurance Co. in 1934. The Beaudet family purchased
the house and lived there for 48 years.
city directories note that son Edward was a machinist at Ford Motor
Co. of Canada, Leo was a partner in the Stuebaker Company (1930)
and in 1935 was a clerk for Hotel Royal. Leonard was a city fireman
and Wilfred was a Ford employee.
one and a half story, cross gable, bungalow-style home is faced
with fieldstone of varying shapes and colors on the first floor
and stucco on the second floor. A diamond shaped windowpane motif,
often utilized by builder Roy Brigham, is repeated throughout the
house. The lower half of the double-hung windows in the parlor have
ornate, coloured leaded-glass windows. Original exterior details
that remain include wooded brackets on the eaves and wrought iron
balconette (front porch roof).The original roof of red concrete
roof tiles, remains. Alterations to the building include a remodeling
to the front porch and rear porch in 1988, colours (stucco/trim)
changed from the original white and green and the original garage
was demolished in 1989.
residing in 908 Dawson is Carl Kotevich, who purchased the home
from the Beaudet family in 1981. In addition to working for Canada
Post, Mr. Kotevich operates a recording studio in the home. Marcel
Beneteau, a well-known local artist who researches and performs
heritage French folk music, records there. (Marcel’s CDs can
be found at The TIMES Book and Gift Shop located at 624 Chilver).
During kitchen renovations in 1993,
Carl Kotevich, owner of 908 Dawson, found a December 20th,
1923 turkey draw ticket. Sponsored by the Inglewood Park Lawn
Bowling Club, the draw was to be held in the basement of Lady
of the Lake Church (now Our Lady of the Rosary), Sandwich
St., Ford City, (Riverside Drive, Windsor).
the early 1980s Mr. Kotevich salvaged wrought iron fencing from
the Hunter Building, a government building (c1900) being demolished
in downtown Ottawa. About ninety feet of this fencing and two gates
were installed around the house in 1984. Mr. Kotevich has also relocated
an original Town of Riverside street light as part of the landscaping
treatment on the north (Ontario St.) side of the property.
December 11, 2000, 908 Dawson was designated under the Ontario Heritage
Act and in 2001 Mr. Kotevich was given a bronze plaque commemorating
the designation of the property to affix to the exterior of his
unique brick and cobblestone home, located on the southeast corner
of Lawrence Road and Ontario Street in former Ford City, was also
built in 1922 by developer Roy Brigham and was part of the “Reaume
Gardens” subdivision. Mr. Brigham based his operations from
the “Rustic Brick Plant – Brigham Construction Company”
located in the early 1920s on the southeast corner of Ontario Street
and Lawrence Road, directly across the street from 904 Lawrence
(originally 100 Lawrence).
first homeowner of 904 Lawrence was William E. Addyman, the manager
of the Ontario Traffic Service Co. During the 1940s, 50s and early
60s the home was owned by Ivor and Myrtle Kennedy. Mr. Kennedy was
an accounting clerk who worked for Hiram Walker & Sons and later
Sterling Drugs Manufacturing Ltd. The Kennedy’s lived in the
house until 1959 when Ivor was transferred to Aurora. For the last
27 years the house has again seen long-time owners.
904 Lawrence Road,
“The Wizard’s Castle.” Perhaps the home’s
most prominent architectural element is the chimney with a projection
shaped like a six-sided
“Star of David.”
Lawrence is quite often referenced as the “castle house”
which refers to the battlement-style porch balcony on the west façade
of the house. Perhaps the home’s most prominent architectural
element is the highly decorative chimney, west of the main entrance
on Ontario Street. The bottom half is constructed of fieldstone,
while the upper half is of red brick, which extends along the sides
of the chimney to frame the fieldstone. Bridging the two materials
are two oval windows with diamond shaped windowpanes framed with
red brick. This diamond shaped windowpane motif is repeated throughout
the house.The red brick chimney projection is shaped like a six-sided
“Star of David.” Wooden gable ends have Tudor styling,
as does the bottom of the enclosed porch on the Lawrence Road side,
constructed in the 1970s. Original details that remain include wooden
brackets flanking the main door and the gable key on the west façade.
and John Ould purchased the house in 1973. John Ould worked as a
salesman and operated a carpet cleaning business; however, magic
has been a real interest. Nancy comes from a family of magicians
and John has been a magical entertainer (Jonathon T. Wizard) since
the 50s. Their home is commonly referred to as the “wizard’s
castle” and the sign which hangs over the door reads “Ye
Ould Magic Castle.” The Ould’s maintain a fairytale
decor with whimsical gnomes and fairies.
did the former owners, the Ould’s believe the house is haunted.
Joyce Kennedy Mackinnon, daughter of Ivor and Myrtle Kennedy, remembers
the attic with access through a trap door in her bedroom. She half
believed that the ghost of her great great Aunt Hannah lived there.
Ould’s thought the noises were Nancy Ould’s deceased
mother. Doors used to open and close by themselves and there would
be an odour when they walked through. They called in a psychic who
identified the spirit as a 40-year old native woman who lived on
the land about 100 years earlier. John confronted the spirit and
told her to leave. Since then they have had no other occurrances.
March 27, 2000, 904 Lawrence was also designated under the Ontario
Heritage Act and the Ould family was given a bronze plaque commemorating
the historical designation of their property.
here to go back to the home page.