High School Celebrates Half a Century!
Christi / F.J. Brennan GRAND RE-OPENING & 50th REUNION
(Thanksgiving Weekend October 10-12, 2003)
here to view the schedule – PDF
experienced an extensive school construction program during
the great expansion period of the 1920s. Then there was a
long dry spell. It was 1953 before another high school was
opened and that was in the form of F.J. Brennan Catholic High
School, first called Corpus Christi High School. Brennan was
the first high school built in Windsor since the opening of
Kennedy Collegiate in 1929.
property on which the school stands was bequeathed to the
Ursuline Sisters of the Diocese of London in 1920. A
section of the property was donated by the Community for Our
Lady of Guadeloupe Church, and later another section was given
for the construction of Corpus Christi High School. Under
the leadership of the late Bishop Cody the decision was made
for the Diocese of London to fund this first Catholic co-educational
secondary school in Windsor. Mother Gerald (Sister Gerald
McCann) was its first Principal.
Christi High School opened in September of 1953 with a staff
of eight Ursuline sisters and 102 students. The original
building consisted of the present west wing and gymnasium
of the "old building.” An increase in the enrollment
after only one year, made the first addition a necessity. The
north wing, consisting of four classrooms, a larger cafeteria
and dressing rooms were constructed. In 1959, another
addition – the present far east hall of the ”old
building“ and the north cafeteria – was added,
creating a "square" of classrooms with an enclosed
courtyard. The school at this time had only three grades:
11, 12 and 13, and received its funding through the contributions
of the Ursuline Community, the Diocese of London, and student
the school year of 1965-66, the newest part of the building
consisting of the present main hallway, the south gym and
cafeteria and two floors of classrooms was added. At
this time, the school's name was changed to honour Monsignor
Francis J. Brennan, a Windsor priest who had served for several
years on the Advisory Board of Corpus Christi High School
and who, as editor of the Catholic Record, had been a strong
factor in shaping the Catholic educational system in this
Province. In September of 1965, with a much larger building
and a new name, F.J. Brennan Catholic High school welcomed
students form grades nine through thirteen.
The grade 9 and 10 students had been at "junior high
schools" throughout the east end of the city –
St. Alexander, St. Clare, St. Joseph and St. Louis.
the 1960s and 1970s under the leadership of Rev. J. Doyle
(now Bishop of Peterborough Diocese), Frank Burke, and Jim
Kennedy, the school reached an all time high population of
over 1800 students, making it one of the largest Catholic
High Schools in the province.
the 1980s, under the leadership of Rev. Fred Zakoor, C.S.B.
(principal from September 1980 until January 1989) Brennan
entered a new decade of expansion and development. On
June 12, 1984, Premier William Davis made a historic declaration
of the government's intention to extend full funding to Catholic
Secondary schools in Ontario. Tuition payments for students
were phased out and by September of 1986 Brennan became a
publicly funded school.The current enrollment at
F.J. Brennan is approximately 1000 students.
here to view the schedule of the Corpus Christi / F.J.
Brennan GRAND RE-OPENING & 50th REUNION (Thanksgiving
Weekend October 10-12, 2003) – PDF
learn about the school, visit www.wecdsb.on.ca/103
here to go back to the home page.