Argyle Road Cottages
in an out of the way part of Argyle Road, just south of Wyandotte
Street East, a nearly forgotten fragment of Walkerville's past remains.
Three small clapboard cottages are all that left of the dozens built
by distiller and town founder Hiram Walker for his workers in 1880.
one hundred years later, these cottages sit as a humble reminder
of days gone by. Today, when one thinks of Walkerville, the grand
homes that are found in great abundance in the area surrounding
Willistead Manor, the home of Walker's son E. Chandler Walker come
to mind. Most of these homes were built after the turn of the century,
once Walkerville was well established.
the years leading up to 1880, the distillery and Walker's other
businesses were still in the growing stages and his town design
was based mainly on the need to house his workers nearby, whether
they worked in the plant or in the office.
cottages on Argyle, known at that time as Third Street, were built
to house the families of his workers with humbler occupations such
as blacksmiths and carpenters. The cottages lined both sides of
Argyle from Wyandotte to Tuscarora and for the most part had only
two bedrooms and were just slightly larger than nine hundred square
homes remained company owned until 1926 when they were transferred
to the Walkerville Land and Building Company. It was also at this
time that many were torn down to make way for the popular new apartment
buildings. The remaining properties remained in the same ownership
until they were released for private ownership in 1947.
years later, and with some restoring, we can look at these remaining
cottages and imagine what Argyle must have looked like in the 1880's.
These homes have not been designated historical but have citations
that recognize them as historically significant.