Crown Inn: First Hotel in Walkerville
visit to the Crown Inn on Devonshire Rd. is like taking a detour
to the past. Construction of this three-storey brick structure was
started in 1892 to accommodate visitors to Hiram & Walker's
& Sons. Of late Victorian design, the building was the first
public hotel facility opened in the community of Walkerville which
was expanding with the development of Walker's distillery. It was
in keeping with this development that the late Hiram Walker decided
to construct the Crown Inn on Devonshire Rd. adjoining his expanding
two years the building provided accommodation for travellers and
visitors to old Walkerville. From its location on the northeast
corner of Devonshire and Assumption, the inn provided a clear view
of the Detroit River. This view was made possible as the Walker
firm had not expanded to the west.
the early days of the hotel, it provided all the modern facilities
of the time under one roof. In addition to the hotel rooms, there
were dining and beverage rooms along with a barbershop for the patrons.
At the time of the opening of the Crown Inn, Devonshire Road was
the main street in Walkerville.
Inn was one of two built by Walker, the other named the Mettawas
was located in Kingsville. While the hotel operation vanished in
1921 when the building was converted to a combination apartment
building-store facility, the structure has changed little in its
exterior appearance in over 100 years. Among other businesses, it
housed a motor vehicle license bureau. Today, four small businesses
are located on the ground floor with apartments above.
Old Vic Tavern aka The Exchange