SCHOOLS IN WALKERVILLE
Hiram Walker established his community. Children attend the one-room
school in S.S. 1, Township of Sandwich East, located on the river
road where Riverview Hospital stood (see story page 9).
Hiram Walker provided the land at the corner of Wyandotte and Devonshire
(on which today stands the Kelly Funeral Home) and erected a two-story
frame structure. Ornamental shrubs and a lawn, enclosed "within
a handsome fence" surrounded it. It remained in service for 6 years.
The increase in population had resulted in an enrollment of nearly
300, crowding the eight-room Walkerville Public School. The school
board purchased the block of land bounded by Victoria and Windermere
Roads, Cataraqui and Niagara Streets, from Charles Chilver who owned
the eastern half of the block, and Chandler Merrill Walker, a nephew
of Hiram, the owner of the western half. Albert Kahn, the leading
Detroit architect who had designed many buildings for the Walker's,
was asked to plan a modern school building of 14 classrooms, an
assembly room, a school-board room, offices for the principal and
Construction of new school begins in April. The cornerstone was
laid on Empire Day, May 23, and the school named by Mrs. E. Chandler
Walker in honour of the reigning King, Edward the Seventh.
The building was completed in March by Vic Williamson, contractor
at a cost of $50,000. Three-day holiday for pupils while furniture
brought over to new school. Old school demolished, and in its place,
Dr. Charles A. Hoare, the Walkerville treasurer, medical officer
of health, and school board treasurer, erects a large home and office,
since incorporated into the Kelly Funeral Home. First principal
is Hugh M. Beaton, first teachers are all women: Martha Macivor,
Jennie Nesbitt, Annie Smith, Margaret Redman, Mabel Russell, Lulu
Russell, Martha Fitch, Margaret Tuer.
Due to overcrowding, new school built in South Walkerville. Named
after Hugh Beaton (King Edward's first principal, 1906-1917) .
Renovation Scheme put forward for King Edward cost would be
nearly $4 million.
Demolition and Rebuilding Scheme proposed and accepted due to concerns
that King Edward is a fire hazard and too expensive to upgrade.
Demolition of school and construction of new school takes place
on same site. Students are bussed to Edith Cavell on Glidden in
New school completed and furnished at a cost of $7.4 million.
Architects: Mason-Rice & the Legend of Albert Kahn