Kahn and His Influence on Walkerville
of the following buildings still exist today. We begin our tour
at the Detroit River and work our way south up Devonshire Road toward
Hiram Walker & Sons Head Office
Riverside Drive, Walkerville Ontario
structure was modelled after the Pandolfini Palace in Florence,
which explains the Italian Renaissance style of the building, including
the delicate craftmanship of the lanterns and bronze gate at the
entrance. which hints at the lavish wood and marble details found
The Walkerville Town Hall
Devonshire Road, Walkerville, built in 1904
building features the stone foundation from the original St-Mary's
Church built in 1870. The design is Classical Revival, featuring
a dark tile roof and low-arched dormers specified by Albert Kahn.
The building was moved from its original site by a group of determined
volunteers, and currently houses the Galerie d'Art Royale.
The Bank of Commerce
Devonshire Road, 1907
a sense of stability, prosperity and security, this bank is a classic
800 Block, Monmouth Road
Built for workers
at the distillery and other Walker supported industries, the apparent
sameness of these row houses is misleading. During the past 20 years,
this area has experienced a re-gentrification.
Niagara Street, built in 1906
magnificent structure was designed by Kahn during his early period
of residential architecture. Commissioned by Edward Chandler Walker,
in memory of Hiram Walker's son Willis, who died in 1886, the imported
woodwork was carved by Bohemian artisans; Scottish stonemasons cut
the stone, quarried in Amherstburg. The building is now owned by
the people of Windsor, including the 15 acre park. The stone and
iron fence surrounding the property was built in 1914.