The Sandwich Post Office
most small towns, the post office was the place to get all the gossip.
You could pick up your mail and spread the news, all in one stop!
In the days when post
offices were key centres of communication, the Postmaster was held
in high esteem. He was responsible for the delivery of the towns
mail, bringing news from other parts of Canada or the world
first Postmaster of the town of Sandwich was William Hands, who
held the title from 1800 to 1835. He also held the positions of
Sheriff, District Treasurer, Customs Officer, Judge of Surrogate
& Registrar Surrogate. He died Feb. 20, 1836.
term as Post Master, he ran it from his home, built in 1780. This
first Sandwich Post Office was located on Main Street (Sandwich
St) at the north end of town. Close to the street was a gate and
a "Sentry box" type hut, where town folk picked up and
dropped off their mail.
the death of William Hands, the position was given to George Gentle
in 1834. He operated a General Store and post office, across the
street from the Courthouse (McKenzie Hall).
Edward Holland was
the PostMaster from 1838 until his death Feb.7, 1843. This post
office was at his residence on the corner of Mill & Peter.
Pierre Hector Morin
was appointed PostMaster in 1843. He kept the post office in the
William G. Hall building, at Lot 5, East Bedford Street (now Sandwich
Calixte St. Louis took
charge of the post office in 1865 and retired in 1881.
1881, Victor Ouellette became PostMaster and ran it from several
locations, including the McKee building, Clarke Bros Shoe Store
and the House & Girardot building. The Girardot Building remains
at the northwest corner of Mill & Sandwich. The words POST OFFICE
can be seen in the step on the south side of the building at the
On August 8, 1885,
John Spiers received the appointment of postmaster, held until June
1, 1907. He kept the post office in his General Store.
The Dominion Government
secured a permanent home for the Sandwich Post Office in 1907 on
the southeast corner of Mill & Sandwich. This brick & stone
three-story building was erected at a cost of $15,000. Mr. Spiers
and Miss Jessie Spiers were postmaster & postmistress, respectively.
The Honourable R.F.
Sutherland K.C. M.P. was chiefly responsible for securing the monies
needed to build the post office.
second-floor apartments were for Inland Revenue & Customs House.
John McLean was the Customs Inspector. John Mcleod was appointed
janitor; he lived with his family on the third floor.
During the Old Boys
Reunion, August 2-7, 1909, a former resident of the town of Sandwich,
William Leech, donated a large fountain for the front of the post
From the Sentry Box,
to Postmasters homes, from General & Shoe Stores to the
Sandwich Post Office, Sandwich has had its share of different locations.
The post office is currently in the
building built in 1907 at Sandwich & Mill Streets.
back to the top of