In the Box?
of King Edward School began in April 1905 and a corner stone was
laid on May 23 of that same year (Empire Day).
the ceremony, the school was named by Mrs. E. Chandler Walker (daughter-in-law
of Hiram) in honour of the reigning king, Edward the 7th. (Mrs.
Walker is seen in the small newspaper clipping above to right.)
stones are built into the corner of a foundation of important edifices
as the actual or nominal starting point in building and are hollow
to allow repository of documents or objects.
addition, newspapers and directories of the day and current coinage,
are typically included. Unfortunately, the paper contents of the
King Edward cornerstone did not survive the years in good shape.
addition, the coins were taken at some point after the box was opened
in 1993 when the original school was torn down and replaced by the
present King Edward. Unfortunately, the whereabouts of the coins
is a mystery.
is need for a policy to be drawn up by the Board of Education to
ensure that in future, cornerstones and time capsules are opened
with due care in the presence of an historian and that a proper
storage place be arranged.
Next Page | Previous Page