of the six original buildings may still be seen, the most northerly
having been demolished in the 1920s to permit construction of the
Royal Bank building (1922). The lost building was the mirror image
of that on the south end of the block, while the four between are
identical to one another.
graphically illustrate the planned town concept. The same planning
can be seen on the accompanying map of 1884 which shows Third Street
(Kildare Road) as it was originally built. All of the survivors
have had their distinctive front windows altered, thereby losing
the single-hung sash and Queen Anne style transoms with quarrels
(small square panes).
an early photo provides evidence for restoration. The former bank
building (1922), designed by architect David J. Cameron of Windsor,
has been converted to use as an upscale office building, and has
been designated on its own historic and architectural merit (By-law
represents a more reserved phase of bank design with broad flat
planes and minimal ornamentation. The gray apartment blocks across
the street were built on the site of Pentilly, William Robins’ great
mansion designed by Mason & Rice.