prime lots opposite St. Mary’s Church were reserved for Hiram Walker’s
grandsons, Harrington E. Walker and Hiram H. Walker. Both privileged
young men had Albert Kahn design their residences, with H. E. opting
for a plain house in Flemish bond brick with a wide, low facade
and end ells, dormer windows in the hipped roof, and a prominent
entrance with a shallow entablature.
A detached garage with chauffeur’s apartment stands on Kildare Road’s
curve. The windows were originally enhanced with louvered wooden
shutters. Landscaping softened the severe lines of the building.
The house appears to have been patterned on Kahn’s design for the
larger Henry B. Joy mansion in Detroit.
contractor was Victor Williamson. The Hiram H. Walker house (1906),
also by Kahn, stood on Devonshire Road on the northheast corner
at St. Mary’s Gate. A grandiose residence built of stone, Elmscroft,
blended Tudor and Jacobean styles. The three-storey mansion had
two massive chimneys, several projecting bays and a flat-roofed
entrance porch. Its carriage house survives on Argyle Road is now
attached to a similar building which was associated with a Georgian
Revival house on Devonshire - Wallmay - designed by Burrowes & Wells
(1912), also demolished. Both carriage houses are designated properties.
(Designating By-laws 8289 (819) and 8290 (819)).