southward flow of Devonshire Road is diverted by the park-like setting
of the church complex, with the church, rectory, hall and lych gate
to the cemetery. The congregation of 1902 had outgrown the original
Walker church (1874) on Sandwich Street (Riverside Drive), and it
was the sons of Hiram and Mary Walker who decided to erect a larger
edifice in memory of the parents.
present site was chosen, six blocks south, but with an unobstructed
view of the river down the length of Devonshire Road. As well, the
residential development of the evolving town was concentrated south
of Wyandotte Street, and a centrally-located church was a practical
Albert Kahn, being of the Jewish faith, suggested that the Walkers
offer the commission for the Anglican church to Ralph Adam Cram's
firm, but acted as Cram's associate, with Ernest Wilby as on-site
architect. Cram chose as his model the little parish church of England,
although the architectural taste of the time allowed a freer interpretation
of the Gothic style to be followed. (It should be noted that the
clock in the tower is not original, but a 1930s embellishment).
glass windows filter the sunlight flooding such treasures as tiles
from the Moravian Pottery & Tile Works in Pennsylvania, and exceptionally
fine wood carvings by Johannes Kirchmayer from Oberammergau.
the east lies the traditional English churchyard, approached through
a lych gate - a small, roofed gateway where the funeral procession
pauses before proceeding to the gravesite. The Tudor Revival rectory
and Sunday School stand on the west side of the church. The parish
hall, added in 1950 near the cemetery, is by local architects Sheppard
Road resumes its southerly direction at the rear of the church grounds.
here to read more about St-Marys Church.