sides of Monmouth Road are lined with dark red brick houses for
the workers at the distillery and other satellite industries in
800 block has twelve row houses with four units each. At the middle
of the block are two semi-detached houses intended for the foremen
and their families, all built for the Walkerville Land & Building
Company which collected the rent.All
are now privately owned.
apparent sameness of the residences is misleading because, on examination,
it is clear that there is a great variety of detail. Some have flat
parapets, some have end gables, and others have paired frontal gables.
All terraces have central open passageways leading to the rear yards.
A variety of decorative brickwork is evident, giving interesting
texture to the houses and to the streetscape. While the plain shutters
are not original to the buildings, the residents find them attractive
and they serve to distinguish one unit from another.
turning eastward on Cataraqui Street, a view to the north along
the 700 block of Monmouth reveals some of the early (c. 1890) frame
semi-detached cottages with shared Tudoresque dormers along the
west side of the 700 block. On the east side is a block of red brick
semi-detached houses built c. 1893-94 and believed to be designed
by Mason & Rice.