the completion of St. Mary's Church seven blocks to the south, the
original church (c. 1870) was demolished. From its stone foundation,
opposite the office building, rose the new Town Hall in 1904, designed
by the now-independent Albert Kahn.
the Town Hall was supposed to have been built on Devonshire Road,
where it stands today, but the availability of an existing foundation
offered an opportunity too good for the Walker Sons to overlook.
Construction of the new public building (at a cost of $15,000) was
in the hands of Victor Williamson.
years later, with a corporate plan to reduce its heavily taxed physical
plant, Hiram Walker & Sons, Ltd. decided to raze the former Town
Hall (also known as the Barclay Building), along with the malthouse
and the Walker Stores building.
determined group of volunteers quickly formed the Preserve Old Walkerville
committee to try to save the Town Hall. Within a year sufficient
funds had been raised to have it moved. Today, thanks to an imaginative
and enterprising businessman who purchased it, the Town Hall has
been restored and renovated to house a new cultural and commercial
attraction - the Galerie d'Art Royale.
Preserve Old Walkerville committee is now the Architectural Conservancy
of Ontario - Windsor Region Branch. The former Town Hallís design
is Classical Revival in concept (symmetrical, belt courses, angled
quoins and burst pediment) with windows more closely associated
with Arts & Crafts styling. The dark tile roof and low-arched dormers
were specified by Kahn, but the roof-top cupola and rear stair well
are modern embellishments.