THE WALKERVILLE POST OFFICE BUILDING

420 DEVONSHIRE ROAD

ARCHITECT - Federal Department of Public Works

Built: 1914

 

 

Recognizing the growing importance of the Town of Walkerville, the Federal government agreed to erect an appropriate building on a site purchased from the Walkerville Land & Building Co. Contrary to the Walker sonsí preference for red brick and limestone, the architect chose buff brick and cast concrete to distinguish his building from its surroundings.

The deep setback of the structure, its six tall pilasters and rhythmical symmetry reinforce the quality of this important heritage block.

 

.