Worth Remembering from the Early 50s
Courtesy of Stan Scislowski
"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep goig the way they
are, its going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20.00."
2. "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't
be long when $5000 will only buy a used one."
3. "If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit.
A quarter a pack is ridiculous."
4. "Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging
a dime just to mail a letter?"
5. "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able
to hire outside help at the store."
6. "When I first started driving, who would have thought gas
would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving
the car in the garage,"
7. "Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make
it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be
wearing their hair as long as the girls,"
8. "I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever
since they let Clark Gable get by with saying "damn" in
"Gone With The Wind", it seems every new movie has either
"Hell" or "damn" in it."
9. "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where
a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."
10. "Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract
for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if
someday that they will be making more than the President."
"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances
would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."
13. "It won't be long before young couples are going to have
to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."
14. "Marriage doesn't mean a thing anymore, those Hollywood
stars seem to be getting divorces at the drop of a hat."
15. "I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the
door to a whole lot of foreign business."
16. "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government
takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing
the best people to Parliament."
17. "The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather,
but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."
18. "There is no sense going to Toronto or Ottawa anymore for
a weekend. It costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel."
19. "No one can afford to be sick any more, $35.00 a day in
the hospital is too rich for my blood."
20. "I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's
possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They
even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down